Friday, June 27, 2008

Foster Care

Most of ya'll know that I work for DSS is foster care. My job can be very difficult at times, but I really do enjoy what I do. Everyday I worked with kids who have been physically abused, sexually abuse, or their parents are on some type of drug. I really love the fact that I can attempt to be some sort of difference in the life of a child! An even better feeling is to see a family reunited! People make mistakes and I love to see these parents get their life together and start over. I dont' see that happen on a regular basis, but it does happen. I also have the chance to witness to people in a way that I didn't when I was even working at the church. Kids ask me all of the time about God and it's great to be able to share with them! When I first started this job, I had no idea what to expect form these kids when they had to leave a visit with their parents. 90% of the time the kids leave without a problem. They understand what is going on. I have had to deal with a few kids screaming, but most of them give their parents a hug and out the door we go. These kids are so strong, even after all they have been through. I will be closing out the very first case I got when I started DSS. One child is with the mom and the other is with her dad. It makes me sad to know I can't see them as often, but I'm so glad things worked out for this family. One more thing - Anderson County is in desperate need of foster parents! If you are interested let me know - and I can give you all of the info you need!!! :)

0 comments: